- Meeting: Silicon Valley GTUG
- Date: April 2, 2008
- Cost: Always FREE to all!
- Topic: Mapping the Votes: Building Election Maps
- Speaker: Michael Geary
Although this is a free event, we are requesting that people register in advance
and we will be limiting attendance to a maximum of 200 attendees. You can reserve
your space by registering here online.
During the main meeting starting at 6:30pm, Michael Geary will present his work on mapping the
2008 presidential primary results. This presentation is actually the final one in the current
Google GEO Developer Series
organized by Googlers Pamela Fox and Mano Marks. They are allowing us to co-host
their final series meeting as our April GTUG meeting. The planned topics for Michael Geary's
- Use the same code for a mapplet, a Google Gadget, and a Maps API map
- Turn shape files into map tiles, polygons, and markers
- Collect voting results into JSON objects
- Marker madness - can we make it fast enough?
- Hosting on Google Code and Amazon S3
- A custom Twitter map using Jabber to track keywords
Please note that we are starting a half hour earlier than usual this month. During the networking
hour starting at 5:30pm, we invite our members that develop applications
using Google Maps to do "lightning" demos of no more than 5 minutes each. Please contact
Van Riper to indicate your interest to demo your
stuff. Time permitting, we will include as many "lightning" demos as possible before the main
- 5:30-6:15pm Arrive & mingle -- Food & drinks provided by Google
- 6:15-6:30pm General Announcements
- 6:30-7:30pm Michael Geary, Mapping the Votes
- 7:30-8:00pm End meeting by 8pm
Google, Inc. (GooglePlex Map)
Tunis Conference Room, Bldg. 43
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043
Please enter from the north side of the building, in the middle of the Google campus.
Also, parking will be much easier to find in the lots south of Bldg. 44 across the
street from the main complex.
We would like to thank Google for providing
the venue and the refreshments for this meeting.